Hello readers and possible allergy sufferers. My name is Richard Cassidy and I live with multiple food and environmental allergies. My son Daniel, at the age of seven has Eosinophilic Esophagitis which is an inflammatory condition in which the wall of the esophagus becomes filled with large numbers of eosinophils, a type of white blood cell.
This is caused by allergies that he has to dairy, gluten, beef, fish, cats, dogs, mold, feathers and dust mites. It has been a very difficult road for Daniel, because most of his life he has had nothing but pain in his digestive system. It took us two years of many doctors appointments specialist extended admitted stays in the hospital to get this diagnosis. There is no cure but by very strict dieting restrictions and the hope that one day he will grow out of this we can keep things contained.
I am 44 years old and have not felt right for over 3 years now. I have been admitted into the hospital several times because of tightness in my chest. I have had stress tests, Endoscope, colonoscopies and other test done as well. I was starting to think I was crazy because I was always not feeling good.
I knew I had allergies to dogs, cats, peas and mostly peanuts my kryptonite. 8 weeks ago my life truly changed it was as if my immune system completely crashed. I started getting Hives, throat soreness, sinus infections, bloating and even losing my voice. After seeing my primary once again she referred me to an allergy specialist.
I am now the proud owner of allergies to over 47 different allergens from food and the environment. This has changed my life and my family’s life drastically and I know that there are many more of you out there like Daniel and myself.
Here is my first allergy free recipe free of the evil 8 which include dairy, egg, soy, peanuts, tree nuts , wheat, fish, and shellfish.
Honey Broiled Chicken: Very tasty dish and not hard to make at all just make sure to use bone in chicken pieces.
Prep time: 8 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Nonstick cooking spray ¼ teaspoon pepper
Four 6- Ounce bone- in chicken thighs ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Juice from 1 lemon 5 teaspoons sugar
4 tablespoons Butter 2 tablespoons brown mustard
( Earth Balance) No soy, Non GMO, no gluten, lactose free- vegan
½ teaspoon salt 4 teaspoons honey
- Preheat the broiler. Spray a 9x9 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Place the chicken, skin side up, in the baking dish. Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spoon the butter sauce over the chicken thighs.
- Broil the chicken for 20 minutes, turning once
- In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, mustard, and honey. Brush half of the mixture over the chicken pieces and return to the broiler for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces over, brush with the remaining sauce, and broil for 5 minutes more.
Enjoy and we’ll see you here tomorrow at life around the allergies when I will discuss what gluten free truly means and how it may benefit us all.